That’s a lot of exclamation points kids. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’m pretty excited.
Here’s the deal: While in the flat wasteland of Saskatchewan a few weeks ago, I picked up a copy of Money Road by Garth Turner. I read it on the way back to Alberta, and I kinda liked it. Garth has some interesting predictions on what is going to happen in the near future-
Housing will correct– Garth and I are in total agreement with this one. Canada’s real estate market is overvalued and primed for a correction. We’re already seeing it begin. Garth was one of the first people who brought this to my attention.
Higher taxes and lower government spending- Governments around the world blew their brains out when handing out stimulus money back in 08-09. This has to be paid for somehow, resulting in higher taxes and a decrease in government spending around the world. Drastic action must be taken.
Interest rates will increase, causing equity markets to be flat for long periods of time– Not only will increasing interest rates make bonds or preferred shares more attractive (Garth really likes prefereds) but it will cause our housing downturn to worsen because of higher rates when mortgage holders renew.
There’s a lot more. The book is filled with practical tips for Canadian investors. It touches on tax avoidance, portfolio composition and my personal favorite, contrarian investing. RRSPs and TFSAs are covered as well.
And best of all, I’m giving you all a chance to win a copy. How do you enter? It’s quite simple really. You can either:
1. Leave a comment on this post.
2. Follow me on the twitter.
3. Tweeting a link to this post and the giveaway. (make sure to @financialuproar so I know you tweeted)
It’s pretty simple really. If you do all three of those things, you get three entries. If you already follow me on twitter, please point that out in a comment and I’ll credit you for two entries.
There’s a couple of ground rules as well:
1. Only Canadians and Americans can enter. Before you enter Americans, please note that this book is very Canadian centric and wouldn’t really be much use to you. Still, if you want to enter then go ahead.
2. I’ll draw for the winner on July 2nd at 12:00 noon eastern.
3. I’ll either email the winner or contact them on Twitter. If the winner doesn’t respond within 72 hours, I’ll redraw a name.